Tysons Corner Virginia
|Tysons Corner, Virginia|
Tysons Corner Center
Location of Tysons Corner, Virginia
|- Total||4.9 sq mi|
|- Land||4.9 sq mi|
|– Water||0.0 sq mi|
|- Density||3,782.5/sq mi|
Tysons Corner is a census-designated place (CDP) located in Fairfax County, Virginia. Located in the heart of Northern Virginia, Tysons Corner lies between McLean and Vienna along the Capital Beltway (I-495). The population was 18,540 as of the 2000 census. Tysons Corner is the nation’s 12th largest business district.
The area is home to Tysons Corner Center – the largest shopping mall in the state and in the Baltimore-Washington area – and to upscale malls Tysons Galleria and Fairfax Square. Every weekday, Tysons Corner draws 55,000 shoppers from around the region. In comparison, Washington, D.C. draws 15 million visitors annually, or the equivalent of 62,500 per weekday.
Tysons Corner has 46 million sqft of office and retail space, making it an important business district in its own right and the classic example of an edge city. Notable companies in the area typically use McLean or Vienna addresses rather than Tysons Corner.
Tysons Corner is the opposite of a bedroom community, with a daytime population greater than 100,000 and a nighttime population of less than 20,000. Local urban planners envision up to 200,000 jobs and 100,000 residents in coming decades.
As of the census of 2000, there were 18,540 people, 8,814 households, and 4,512 families residing in the community. The population density was 3,782.5 people per square mile. There were 9,474 housing units at an average density of 1,932.9/sq mi .
There were 8,814 households out of which 20.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.0% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 48.8% were non-families. 39.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.10 and the average family size was 2.86.
The age distribution of the community was 17.8% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 40.3% from 25 to 44, 23.7% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.8 males.
The median income for a household in the community was $74,151, and the median income for a family was $94,227. Males had a median income of $69,659 versus $49,321 for females. The community’s per capita income is $47,292. About 5.5% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.3% of those under age 18 and 13.2% of those age 65 or over.
In 2008, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors voted to start a 40-year plan to urbanize Tysons Corner around the future 4 new stops of Washington Metro’s Silver Line to the area, in the line of neighboring Arlington’s Rosslyn-Ballston corridor.
Tysons Corner is poised to become much larger. Height limits around Metro stops could allow buildings up to 250 feet, which is lower than in Chicago but higher than in much of downtown Washington, where 160 feet is a typical maximum.
Tysons Corner serves as a “downtown” of Fairfax County, with one quarter of all office space and one eighth of all retail in the county. It is an auto-oriented edge city with severe traffic congestion, and it faces competition from the urban areas of Arlington and newer suburban edge cities such as Dulles.
Fairfax County plans to urbanize Tysons Corner by adding multiple modes of transit, pedestrian-friendly street design, and ground-level retail; however, recent decisions to build above-ground tracks and stations instead of underground tunnels have resulted in controversy.